By Danie B
As we continue to come to terms with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park’s death, I can’t help but wonder why he died.
Yes, he committed suicide, but why?
He was apart of one of the greatest bands ever, he had one of the most amazing voices ever, he had children, a wife, and he just seemed to have it all, so what happened?
At times like this we’re reminded that no matter how happy or put together people seem on the outside, they can still be crumbling on the inside.
Depression is a hidden killer. It eats away at your mind, your soul, and it even hurts your heart. Depression is the disease that leads to the millions of suicides that have happened all over the world.
How do you know if you’re depressed?
Here are helpguide.org‘s 10 signs of depression.
- Feelings of helplessness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in daily activities
- Sleep changes
- Anger or irritability
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of energy
- Reckless behavior
- Difficulty in concentration
- Unexplained aches in pains
As you can see, depression takes a toll on not only your mind, but your body as well.
How do you know if someone is suicidal?
According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, here’s what you need to look for to determine if a person is suicidal.
- Talk – If a person talks like this, they may be contemplating suicide.
- Being a burden to people
- Feeling trapped
- Unbearable pain whether physical or emotional
- Having no reason to live
- Killing themselves
- Behavior- Here are some behaviors to look out for.
- Increased alcohol or drug use
- Acting recklessly
- Actively looking for way to kill themselves
- Isolating themselves from family and friends
- Sleeping too much/too little
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
- Giving away prized possessions
- Mood – People who are contemplating suicide display the following moods.
- Loss of Interest
What can you do?
If the symptoms above are familiar to you or you recognize them in loved one, know that help is out there.
The Mental Health Association of Central Florida is here to help locally, and you contact them at 407 898-0110.
The rapper Logic has also brought attention to the National Suicide Prevention hotline by naming his song, 1-800 273 8255 after their number. Here’s what he has to say abt the message behind that song.
Whatever you may be going through know that you can get through it, and you have everything to live for.